Bathrobes offer immense relaxation and comfort as they are made with soft and high-quality fabrics. They provide you much-needed warmth during winter and summer.
Usually, we wear them at home while lounging around, after a shower, or when relaxing.
Can I wear a bathrobe in public?
If the bathrobe you are wearing is covering you well, then there is no chance of falling into trouble. You can wear them when going shopping or strolling around outside your home. Make sure to pair it up with stylish footwear and accessories, to make yourself look trendy and unique.
Can You Be Arrested for Wearing Nothing but a Bathrobe?
Laws have variations depending on different situations. There are some things you should remember when you consider wearing nothing but a bathrobe in public. Let’s take a look at them.
- If you are at your home, wearing nothing but a bathrobe, then no, there are zero chances of you being arrested. But if you wear nothing but a bathrobe in public, then it will depend on the coverage of your robe.
- In the US, people can be punished for indecent exposure. Indecent exposure is when a person wears a revealing dress or doesn’t cover-up properly in public, making his or her private parts exposed.
- If the exposed person is in a public place or in a place where a lot of people are gathered, then it might cause them to become alarmed or offended.
In such a case, he or she will be arrested and will be charged for indecent exposure. Those who expose their private parts in public will be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor, carrying a 2-years jail sentence, or have to pay a hefty fine decided by the judge.
- If the people around the exposed person are less than 16 in age, then he or she will be charged with a sentence of 5-years in jail or have to pay fines decided by the judge.
- If the bathrobe you are wearing isn’t revealing or if your private parts are covered properly, then there are no chances of you getting arrested for wearing a bathrobe in public.
It is better to wear something inside to avoid any accidental exposure. So, you have to be extra careful while wearing a bathrobe outside.
Here are two examples you should consider when buying a robe for outerwear
For Man: Ross Michaels Hooded Robe
The kimono robe from Ross Michaels will provide style and comfort as it is made with a luxuriously soft and high-quality plush fleece.
It provides knee-length coverage and features roomy sleeves that make it secure and comfortable whenever you wear it.
Why you should choose this?
The lightweight robe comes with deep front pockets where you can easily keep your phone, keys, or wallet. The robe features a self-tie belt and belt loops that offer extra security and prevents it from slipping open.
There is a hood too with it that provides extra warmth. You can wear it day and night while relaxing, fetching the paper in the morning, or around guests.
For Women: Just Love Sherpa Trim Plush Robe
Put yourself into sheer relaxation by wearing the Just Love Sherpa Trim Plush Robe. It is comfy, cozy, and super comfortable against the skin. This beautiful robe is made with light and soft fleece combined with sherpa trimming to make you relax and keep you snug.
Full-bodied or petite, you can get the perfect fitting luxury robe with ideal coverage as they come with wide collections. The robe comes with stylish cuff sleeves, an attractive Sherpa shawl collar, two patch pockets, and eye-catching and beautiful prints and colors.
Why you should choose this?
It is designed with a clean look, keeping style, comfort, and quality in mind. Made with 100% polyester, you can slip into this supremely comfortable and ultra-soft robe while lounging around or watching TV.
The robe won’t stretch out of shape when you wash it. You can wear this warm and soft robe outdoors too.
These Famous Celebrities Wear Bathrobe in Public
Many celebs are opting for trendy robes in different patterns and designs while going outdoors. You might have seen a lot of pictures of celebrities wearing a robe and chilling outside or going for a night out. Let’s have a look at three such celebs:
The actress, singer, producer, and dancer looks good in everything and can rock them as well. She is a fashion icon, known for her on-point outfits in award ceremonies or various style events.
She was seen wearing a grey hooded robe with a self-tie belt, made with thick and soft fabric that keeps one warm and comfortable. Pairing the robe with a pair of brown boots was a great idea as she looked stunning and chic.
She is an American actress and model, famous for her roles in popular movies like Transformer. On the set of Passion play, she wore an elegant terrycloth robe featuring rolled-up sleeves and a velour shawl collar, which made her look gorgeous.
Reminiscing the robes worn by celebrities in the 1940s, this old-school style is surely mention-worthy. You can try this look too!
We have seen her rocking her role in Mad Men as Sally Draper and also in a few other series.
This popular American actress was seen wearing a short and comfy black velvet robe at the Christian Dior Cruise 2018 Welcome Dinner. She looked beautiful in the robe and paired it up with attractive ankle-length heels and a choker.
Are Bathrobes Now Acceptable Outerwear in New York City?
New York is an open-minded city. You can wear anything comfortable without exposing your private parts. Robes are super-comfy to wear and will keep you warm too. Most New Yorkers appreciate unique styling that isn’t offending someone.
We have seen many celebrities wearing a robe as outerwear and walking on the streets or going to different events. They pair up the robe with cool accessories and you can see them carrying it so well.
Even though many won’t mind, but few might not like the idea of wearing a bathrobe in a public place, but things are changing.
So, if you cover-up properly, carry it well, and style it nicely, then the people of New York will appreciate and accept it.
Golden Rules of Wearing Robe in Public Place: 3 Do’s
The search for robes has increased over the quarantine period. When you are busy exercising and have to go outside urgently or if you want to go shopping but not in the mood to dress-up, then you can put on a stylish robe and get going.
But when you wear a robe in a public place, you have to keep in mind some golden rules. These rules will help you in wearing the right and styling your robe perfectly.
- Try to wear a patterned robe with animal print or something plain that gives you a simplistic look. You can opt for something simple and twist a leather belt around the robe, it might look cute and classy.
- Silk and velvet robes can look luxurious and they are comfortable too. For added glam, you can wear a silk robe over a basic or plain outfit while going on a night out.
- Deborah Sams of Bassike’s suggests pairing a hiker sandal and over foot tights with a longer line robe. It will give you a cool look.
Golden Rules of Wearing Robe in Public Place: 3 Don’ts
The above golden rules should be followed when you wear a robe outdoors. On the other side, you should also avoid certain styles or patterns. Read below to know them.
- Avoid wearing a terry towel robe. It is better to wear a terry towel robe after taking a shower or at the poolside, not outside.
- Do not go for heavy floral print robes. As wearing them outside will make you look like you are going for a fancy dress competition, also can be culturally appropriative, or can give you a gaudy look.
- Avoid wearing something that you cannot carry well. Jacqui Hoang of “Sleeping with Jacques” says to keep it chic and classy while wearing a robe in a public place, not to compromise the quality, and to be comfortable while walking confidently and gracefully, in this way you can rock any outfit.
Keep in mind these golden rules while wearing a robe in a public place to avoid any embarrassing moments and to look classy, chic, and on point.